Collections Carousel – Delecto Banners of Doug Birk’s Parents, Del & Esther Birk

Among the many items donated to the Morrison County Historical Society by noted Minnesota archaeologist and museum friend, Doug Birk, were these De-lec-to banners from the Sylvester-Nichols Candy Company of Little Falls, Minnesota. The banners had somehow made their way further north to Pine River, Minnesota, where Doug’s parents, Del…

Continue reading

NPS Cultural Resources Climate Change Strategy

At The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum, we are feeling the effects of climate change. Because we are perched high on a riverbank overlooking the confluence of the Mississippi River and Pike Creek, whatever impacts the river and its shore is something we pay close attention to. Due to the…

Continue reading

Collections Carousel – Photos of O. A. Churchill Store/Muske Implement Building, circa 1985

Until its demolition in 1988, the O. A. Churchill Store, also known as the Muske Implement Building, was the oldest standing commercial structure in central Minnesota. Built in 1855 at the northeast corner of First Street and Broadway in downtown Little Falls, Minnesota, the building housed the store during the…

Continue reading

Rehab Lab: Repairing Old Windows

Saturday, November 5, 2016 – 12:30-4:30 p.m. Would you spend $50 to save $1,000? In this hands-on workshop, historic window specialist Paul Schmidt of Restoration Window Systems shows how repairing old wooden windows can save money, improve window operation, boost energy efficiency and maintain architectural integrity. Get a thorough overview…

Continue reading