Central Minnesota author and historian, Bill Morgan, will discuss his new book “Earth, Wood, Stone: Central Minnesota Lives and Landmarks” at The Charles A. Weyerhaueser Memorial Museum on Saturday, May 11, 2013, at 10:30 a.m. The book is Volume II of a series and covers various aspects of the history of central Minnesota. Among the Morrison County stories featured in the book are Amos and Charles Berry of the First Minnesota Regiment, Vernon Pick, the William W. Warren and MacDougall site and the orphan train. A retired St. Cloud State University professor and long time advocate for the value of our cultural heritage, Bill will share his enthusiasm for local history through his gifted storytelling and talented writing. Books cost $19.95 and will be available for purchase at the museum.
The event is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served. For more information, contact the Morrison County Historical Society (320/632-4007).
Posted in agriculture, archaeology, architecture, area attraction, books, bowlus, charles a. weyerhaeuser memorial museum, culture, events, historic preservation, history, little falls, mchs, minnesota, morrison county, morrison county historical society, museum, preservation, royalton, two rivers
The Morrison County Genealogy Society will be hosting a Family History Conference on Saturday, April 13, 2013, at the Initiative Foundation in Little Falls, MN.
Poster for MCGS Family History Conference, April 2013
For a registration brochure, click this link: http://morrisoncountyhistory.org/mcgsconfbro2013.pdf
Winter Wonderland License Plate Topper, Circa 1947
Winter Wonderland was a popular community celebration started by the recently ordained Father Edward C. Ramacher (1917-2007). Ramacher had been assigned to a parish in Little Falls and came up with the idea to start a winter recreational event to benefit the young people of his parish as well as the entire community. The popular event ran for five years, from 1945 to 1950, and took place four miles southeast of Little Falls on property owned by a parishoner of Ramacher’s, Andrew Jarosh. One of the largest winter community events in Minnesota, Winter Wonderland came to be known as America’s Little Switzerland. Features included toboggan runs, a “Blue Mirror” skating rink, a chalet known as Ski-Esta Inn, and a Winter Wonderland Queen. In 1949, BeBe Shopp, Miss America 1948 and a Minnesota native, served as Miss Wonderland.
The metal license plate topper shown above was produced by the Vernon Company of Newton, Iowa. Founded in 1910 by F. L. Vernon, the company is still in business and is in its fourth generation of family ownership. The company started as a small local graphics agency and has grown into a promotional marketing and manufacturing firm supplying promotional items and sign graphics.
If you would like to learn more about Winter Wonderland, stop by the museum and check out our Winter Wonderland exhibit or plunge into our Winter Wonderland collection. The exhibit will run through March 2013.
Posted in agriculture, archives, area attraction, artifacts, charles a. weyerhaeuser memorial museum, church, Collections Carousel, culture, events, history, influential people, little falls, mchs, minnesota, morrison county, morrison county historical society, museum, nature, research
Tagged Collections Carousel