In 1893, Jacob Kiewel (1846-1928) bought a small brewery in Little Falls, Minnesota, from Rudolph Koch. Originally built in 1882 by Leo P. Brick, the brewery was renovated and expanded in 1896. Jacob’s wife, Rosa, and the couple’s ten children, were all involved in the family business. Along with the Little Falls brewery, the Kiewel’s also owned a brewery in Crookston, Minnesota. The two businesses were incorporated in 1906 under the name “Jacob Kiewel Brewing Company.” The Little Falls site produced White Rose Beer and the Crookston site made White Seal Beer. During Prohibition, the business produced ice cream and dairy products and opened a brewery in Manitoba, Canada. After Jacob died in 1928, his sons took over the business. They operated the Little Falls plant until 1959.