At the beginning of our #Weymu40 series of blog posts, we included a short piece on the namesake of The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum. Time to add a little more information to that post.
Back in the 1970s, when Charles Weyerhaeuser’s family got involved in the Morrison County Historical Society during the planning phase for a new museum, the family offered to make a donation toward construction of the building. Eventually, the family decided to donate all of the funds needed to construct the museum. They asked to remain anonymous, a request that was honored for as long as possible, until someone mentioned the source of the donation in a community meeting. With the cat out of the bag, the Society went public with the source of funding for the museum, which was also a good time to reveal the name of the new facility.
From the Little Falls Daily Transcript, March 18, 1974:
The Morrison County Historical Society today revealed that its new building, now under construction, is being donated to the Society as a memorial to a prominent long-time resident of Little Falls, the late Charles A. Weyerhaeuser, by members of his family.
Upon completion, according to Society president Art Warner, the building will be known as the Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum. Mr. Weyerhaeuser (1864-1930) is chiefly known for his work as general manager of the Pine Tree Lumber Company from its inception in 1891 until 1920.
Warner noted that “we are extremely fortunate to be the recipients of this gift, which will be of great benefit to all of the people in Morrison County and the surrounding area.”
Another fun fact: The “The” is part of the official name of The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum and is normally capitalized.
Celebrating the 40th anniversary of The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum.