Turner Brass Works was one of the largest manufacturers of blow torches from the 1890s to the late 1990s, when it closed via wrecking ball. The company was one of the first to make and sell gasoline blow torches. This model belonged to Art Lafond, who had the oldest Buick dealership in town, established in 1913. It came to the historical society’s collection in 1984.
The little well below the torch nozzle would be filled with oil, which was set on fire to warm the nozzle. After the fire was done burning the torch would be turned on, and would heat up to blue flame faster with the already heated nozzle. This was a nearly ten minute process, far from the nearly instantaneous flame of today.