This cabinet card photograph shows a view of the Pierz Band of Pierz, Minnesota, from around 1900. The band at the time was composed of fifteen members, none of whom are currently identified. Information on the photographer, Van Housen of Pierz, also remains elusive.
At the time the photograph was taken, Pierz was a German-Catholic agricultural community that had only recently (1892) voted to change its name from Rich Prairie to Pierz, after Father Francis Xavier Pierz (See Morrison County Influentials: 11-15). The photograph was taken in front of the Pierz City hall, a two-story brick structure with a cupola at the top-center.