In August 2015, The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum in Little Falls, MN, is celebrating its 40th anniversary. The museum was named for lumberman Charles Weyerhaeuser, who, along with business partner Richard “Drew” Musser, ran the Pine Tree Lumber Company in Little Falls from 1890 to 1920.
The Weyerhaeuser Museum serves as the second home of the Morrison County Historical Society. The Society was founded in 1936 and made its first home in the Historic Morrison County Courthouse. Space was tight in the Society’s basement quarters in the Courthouse and the board of directors began the process of planning for a new museum building in the late 1960s. The result was the Weyerhaeuser Museum, which was dedicated on August 24, 1975.
The museum was designed by architect Foster Dunwiddie, who was tasked by the Society’s Design Committee with integrating aspects of Morrison County’s history into the building. The museum features wood throughout in honor of the lumber industry and slate floors to remind visitors of the slate found at the Little Falls Dam. Dunwiddie took his inspiration for the design of the museum from the officers’ quarters at Old Fort Ripley (now part of Camp Ripley).
The Morrison County Historical Society is celebrating the Weyerhaeuser Museum’s 40th anniversary with a day of celebratory activities on Sunday, August 23, 2015. There will be a public open house at the museum from 1-4 p.m. The open house will feature a ceremony and fountain rededication at 1:30. This portion of the event is free.
In the evening, the Society is hosting a 40th anniversary dinner and program at the Falls Ballroom in Little Falls. Social time begins at 5:30 p.m. Dinner will be served at 6 p.m. with the anniversary program to follow. Cost for the dinner is $20 per person. It is open to the public. Those who want to attend need to make reservations with the Society by August 18. Call 320-632-4007 to make reservations.