This fall, in advance of our Jolly Jingle Jam, we constructed a new exhibit called “Music & the Technology of Sound.” The exhibit includes a variety of types of sound recordings (cassette tapes, 8-tracks, albums), plus their attendant play-back and recording machines. Sheet music and instruments are also part of the display. Here are a couple of photos of portions of the exhibit:
The violin shown here belonged to Senator Gordon Rosenmeier as a child. It is one of over a million copies of the famous Stradivarius violins. This particular copy was made in Germany and dates to approximately 1907-1927.
This radio belonged to siblings Louise and Frank Smuda and was passed down to their niece, Alvina Smuda. It’s a nice example of a Philco combination radio and phonograph. The model number is 46-1226, with the beginning two numbers referring to the year of production, 1946. For more information on the history of the Philco Corporation, visit http://www.philcoradio.com/.
“Music & the Technology of Sound” will be available for viewing for much of 2009. Visit The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum in Little Falls, MN, to see the rest of the exhibit.