1972 Flood Exhibit


  1. The flood was one of my experiences that proved the power of radio in a community. This was my second year at KLTF and or studios were at 70 NE 1st Ave, but our transmitter building and tower were just north of where the flood waters had to be re-routed into the Mississippi. We were fine downtown, but the transmitter building was threatened by the possibility of high water along 371. Sandbags were placed around the building and managed to keep the water out. I have no idea who piled the sandbags. But we were so grateful. KLTF was the only source of communication in the area during the flood and we were able to relay info to our listeners and pass along messages. Remember, cell phones didn’t exist yet. Gordy Lommen and I were on the air and we were a daytime station, which meant we had to be off the air at sunset. But we needed to stay on the air all night to relay all of this important information to the people affected by the flood. The staff attempted to contact someone at the FCC, but no one was available. Finally someone was reached and we received permission to stay on the air overnight. I remember Gordy going up in a small airplane to survey the damage near county road 48 north of Little Falls and then reporting back what he was seeing. I also remember that our secretary, Terri Marsolek’s husband falling in the water where 371 was cut open, but if I remember, he had a rope attached to him. One of the staff members may have pictures of the transmitter sandbagged, I have pictures taken on sixth street northeast near Crestliner a day after the flood. There was still water on part of the street.

    • Hi, Gary – Thanks so much for sharing your memories of the flood, particularly about KLTF. It’s all those details that tend to get lost over time. You’re right to point out that there were no cell phones. It’d be too easy to assume that’s how people communicated for those who’ve grown up with cell phones.

      – Mary Warner
      Museum Manager

  2. My husband, Dave, filled me in on this inf, Fanat Schwanke who resided at Lake Alex.became ill and was suffering a heart attack. His son drove him down county Rd. 1 which is now Dove in an attempt to get him to the hospital. They could not cross the Little Elk River so they came back to the Adamek farm and asked Neil if he could drive him across on a tractor. They tried that, but the water was too deep and swift for even a tractor. They came back to the farm and called for help. A helicopter came and landed in the field just east of the house to airlift Mr. Schwanke to a hospital.

  3. I was working at Fleet Supply that day and I do remember that it poured like crazy. Customers were coming in to buy tools and supplies to do what they could to protect their property from the flooding. After work, instaed of going home, I took a drive north to Randall. The creek on the soouth side of Randall was flooded with many homes submerged half way in about 10 feet of water. The bridge on Ginger road was compltely gone as well with a big washout

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *