Collections Carousel – Z. N. Barnes Cats

Z. N. Barnes, Photographer. Circa 1902.

Z. N. Barnes loved cats, or at least he loved taking pictures of them. One family cat in particular, a beautiful tabby , was photographed numerous times in various states of repose – sleeping, snoozing, staring; in boxes, on chairs, in doll beds, on rugs and on people. Affectionate creatures, cats make wonderful photographic material, as Z. N.’s pictures show.

Z. (Zueingles) N. (Norris) Barnes was born in Wisconsin in July of 1859 to (William) Wallace and Olive (Nettleson) Barnes. In 1884, Z. N. married Mary Jemimah Brown (1867-1930) of Wisconsin. Z. N. and Mary had one daughter, Mildred Wanda Barnes. In 1895, the family moved to Little Falls, Minnesota, where Z. N. worked as a salesman for the Pine Tree Lumber Company. Twelve years later he formed the Morrison County Lumber Company with two other Pine Tree Lumber Company employees. In 1920, he resigned as manager for the company and opened his own fuel business, selling wood and coal to local residents. In 1928, he sold the business to Lampert Bros. Lumber Company of Little Falls.

In his spare time, Z N. was an amateur photographer who took professional quality photographs. Among his favorite subject matters were his family, the local landscape and wildlife. Albums of photographs taken by Z. N. in the collections of the Morrison County Historical Society include photos of cows, deer, horses, goats, dogs, sheep, ducks, elk, fish and butterflies as well as that wonderful family cat.

For more information on Z. N. and his photographs see Collections Carousel – Z. N. Barnes, Travelling Photographer and Morrison County Influentials.

Z. N. Barnes, Photographer. Circa 1902.

Z. N. Barnes, Photographer. Circa 1902.

Mildred Wanda Barnes and Cat. Circa 1902. Z. N. Barnes, Photographer.

This Old Haunt: Ghost Towns of Morrison County

Wes Sod drawing with PhotoShop enhancements.

Wes Sod drawing with PhotoShop enhancements.

Elk City, Olean, Topeka, Vawter. Named places from the mists of Morrison County’s past, all gone.

The Morrison County Historical Society will revive the memory of its ghost towns, paper towns, and postal drops at its annual dinner and history program on Sunday, September 14, 2014. The program, “This Old Haunt: Ghost Towns of Morrison County,” will be held at the Falls Ballroom in Little Falls, MN. Social time starts at 6 p.m., with dinner served at 6:30 p.m.

Jan Warner, Executive Director of the Historical Society, will present an introduction on how towns developed in Morrison County. Guest speaker, Rhonda Fochs, author of “Lost Towns of Minnesota,” will discuss the county’s various ghost towns.

This event is open to the public. The cost is $17 per person. Reservations are required by September 5. To make a reservation, call 320-632-4007. Those with special dietary needs are encouraged to share this information when making reservations so accommodations can be made with the Falls Ballroom.

Please join us for this ghostly event.

This Old Haunt: Ghost Towns of Morrison County flier

 

Collections Carousel – Sanitary Milk & Ice Cream Company Ice Cream

Sanitary’s Bulk Style Ice Cream, Circa 1955

Ice cream. The perfect summertime (and wintertime!) treat. A concoction consisting mainly of cream, butterfat or milk that is sweetened and flavored, beaten to a uniform consistency, and then frozen, ice cream ranks as one of the world’s most universally loved foods. According to the International Dairy Foods Association, ice cream has been enjoyed in the United States since at least the middle of the 18th century. Its increasing availability in the late 19th century, largely due to advances in technology, helped make ice cream the staple that it is today. Over 1.6 billion gallons of frozen dairy products are produced annually and companies across the world continue to introduce an ever-increasing number of varieties and flavors. In the 1950s, when the vanilla ice cream originally housed in this thick coated paper one gallon container was made, ice cream was still often produced by local creameries, such as the Sanitary Milk and Ice Cream Company, Inc. of Little Falls, Minnesota.

The Sanitary Milk & Ice Cream Company got its start in 1930 when Leonard Sobiech opened the Sanitary Dairy in the northern portion of the West Side Cooperative Creamery, which was located at 121 Lindbergh Drive in Little Falls. In 1933, Sobiech sold the business, his milk bottling equipment going to Louis Welna and Vincent Young; his ice cream equipment to William Reintjes. In 1935, when Young decided he wanted out of the creamery business, Welna and Reintjes teamed up to form the Sanitary Milk & Ice Cream Company. The company supplied milk and ice cream to Camp Ripley, north of Little Falls, and to many of the surrounding communities. The business was incorporated in 1948 after being purchased by George Melby of Minneapolis and William Anderson of Rockford. Melby had been manager of the Dairy Fresh Creamery in Minneapolis and Anderson was the creamery operator in Rockford. According to the Little Falls Daily Transcript, in an article announcing the new ownership (“Dairy Plant Changes Hands” 4 August 1948), the company sold milk, ice cream, butter, cottage cheese and buttermilk. In 1950, in order to keep up with the increasing demand for ice cream, a continuous ice cream freezer was installed allowing for greater production (“Business Who’s Who”, Little Falls Daily Transcript 4 April 1964). A wholesale distributing center was established in St. Cloud in 1959 and three years later a second one was located in Fergus Falls. By 1961, the business had outgrown its west side location and a new plant was built north of Little Falls on U.S. 371. The Sanitary Milk & Ice Cream Company was closed by 1985.

Sanitary’s Bulk Style Ice Cream (Lid), Circa 1955