In an effort to more efficiently use the collections space at The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum in Little Falls, MN, the Morrison County Historical Society (owner of the museum) recently received a Legacy grant from the Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund through the Minnesota Historical Society to install high-density mobile shelving in the museum’s Archives space.
With this public posting, we are releasing our Request for Proposals to those who are interested in bidding on the archivist position for the project.
The text of the Requests for Proposals is below. To view a PDF version, visit http://morrisoncountyhistory.org/archivistrfp.pdf
For questions on this RFP, please call 320-632-4007.
Request for Proposals – Archivist
High-Density Mobile Shelving Project – Phase I: Archives
Morrison County Historical Society
The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum
2151 Lindbergh Drive South
PO Box 239
Little Falls, MN 56345-0239
Project Start/End Date: May 1, 2019 – November 30, 2019
The Morrison County Historical Society (MCHS) seeks a professional Archivist to assist with Phase I of the High-Density Mobile Shelving project for The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum, home of MCHS. Phase I involves installation of high-density mobile shelving in the museum’s Archives to increase collections storage capacity and provide better access to the museum’s highly-regarded archival collections. The project is financed in part with funds provided by the State of Minnesota from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the Minnesota Historical Society. The full scope of the high-density mobile shelving project for MCHS involves three phases. Contingent on available funding, Phase II and Phase III will install high-density mobile shelving in the museum’s two dedicated three-dimensional artifact collections spaces, Collections Room 1 and Collections Room 2.
The Archivist will assist with reorganization and processing of the museum’s archival collection, with particular emphasis on the large boxed collections. The Archivist will also assist with refinement of the museum’s collections management policy, implementation of a records retention schedule, and will inform decision-making on archival management software.
The Morrison County Historical Society is a private, nonprofit 501(c)3 dedicated to preserving and sharing Morrison County history. Established in 1936, it has been a collecting organization since 1939. In 1975, after outgrowing its first home in the basement of the Morrison County Courthouse, MCHS built The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum. The Archives, Collections Room 1 and Collections Room 2 were added in the 1980s. Installation of high-density mobile shelving will allow MCHS to better manage the museum’s collections for the benefit of present and future generations.
- Evaluates and coordinates rehousing of archives in new high-density mobile shelving.
- Conducts appraisal, arrangement and description of archival collections according to recognized archives standards (DACS, EAD, Dublin Core, MARC, AACR2).
- Advises refinement of museum’s collections management policies with particular emphasis on digital-born items.
- Implements records retention schedule in compliance with local, state and federal law.
- Ensures compliance with government regulations related to archives.
Education/Work Experience/Required Qualifications:
- Three years archival experience required, preferably in a museum setting.
- A. or M.L.I.S. in Archives, Museum Studies, Library Science or related field with formal training in archives management and preservation or commensurate experience.
- Experience and training in records management.
- Experience with professional archives management software.
Abilities, Skills and Knowledge/Preferred Qualifications:
- Demonstrated knowledge of archival collections, archives preservation requirements, storage needs and registration procedures for archives.
- Knowledge of current professional standards and trends.
- Familiar with governmental regulations and legal requirements related to archives and experience in compliance.
- Effective communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Ability to lift, bend and reach boxes or volumes weighing up to 40 lbs repeatedly, including while on step stools.
Responses to this RFP are due: April 9, 2019 at 5 p.m. CST
The proposal shall be submitted to the official contact listed below, to be received no later than Wednesday, April 9, 2019, at 5 p.m. CST. Proposals may be submitted by mail or email to:
Mary Warner, Executive Director
Morrison County Historical Society
PO Box 239 Little Falls, MN 56345
Drop off proposals at The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum, 2151 South Lindbergh Drive, Little Falls, MN.
Any questions regarding this RFP must be submitted by email to MCHS by 5:00 p.m. March 22, 2019. All questions will be answered promptly. Responses to inquiries that substantially or materially change the RFP will be made available to all prospective vendors that have indicated an interest in providing a bid for this project.
The Morrison County Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer.