In an effort to more efficiently use the collections space at The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum in Little Falls, MN, the Morrison County Historical Society (owner of the museum) recently received a Legacy grant from the Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund through the Minnesota Historical Society to install high-density mobile shelving in the museum’s Archives space.
With this public posting, we are seeking an Archival Consultant to assist with this project.
The text of this consultant position is below. To view a PDF version, visit http://morrisoncountyhistory.org/archivistposition_v3.pdf
For questions on this position, please call 320-632-4007.
(Note: This is a reposting of this position.)
Archival Consultant – Morrison County Historical Society
The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum
2151 Lindbergh Drive South
PO Box 239
Little Falls, MN 56345-0239
Project Start/End Date: July 15, 2019 – December 31, 2019
The Morrison County Historical Society (MCHS) seeks a professional Archival Consultant to assist with Phase I of the High-Density Mobile Shelving project for The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum, home of MCHS. Phase I involves installation of high-density mobile shelving in the museum’s Archives to increase collections storage capacity and provide better access to the museum’s highly-regarded archival collections. The project is financed in part with funds provided by the State of Minnesota from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the Minnesota Historical Society. The full scope of the high-density mobile shelving project for MCHS involves three phases. Contingent on available funding, Phase II and Phase III will install high-density mobile shelving in the museum’s two dedicated three-dimensional artifact collections spaces, Collections Room 1 and Collections Room 2.
The Archival Consultant will assist with reorganization and processing of the museum’s archival collection, with particular emphasis on the large boxed collections. The Archival Consultant will also assist with refinement of the museum’s collections management policy, implementation of a records retention schedule, and will inform decision-making on archival management software.
The Morrison County Historical Society is a private, nonprofit 501(c)3 dedicated to preserving and sharing Morrison County history. Established in 1936, it has been a collecting organization since 1939. In 1975, after outgrowing its first home in the basement of the Morrison County Courthouse, MCHS built The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum. The Archives, Collections Room 1 and Collections Room 2 were added in the 1980s. Installation of high-density mobile shelving will allow MCHS to better manage the museum’s collections for the benefit of present and future generations.
- In coordination with museum staff, evaluates and assists with rehousing of archives in new high-density mobile shelving.
- Conducts appraisal, arrangement and description of large boxed archival collections according to recognized archives standards (DACS, EAD, Dublin Core, MARC, AACR2). These are collections that are not yet accessioned. The Archival Consultant will determine what in these collections needs to be kept, sorting and boxing these collections
- Advises refinement of museum’s collections management policies with particular emphasis on digital-born items. For digital-born items, the Archival Consultant will develop a collections policy & procedures for this entire category of archival material, both for the Weyerhaeuser Museum’s current digital format collections and for the collection of future digital items.
- Implements records retention schedule for MCHS’s business records in compliance with local, state and federal law.
- Ensures compliance with government regulations related to archives.
- Note that we are not seeking an inventory with this project.
Education/Work Experience/Required Qualifications:
- Three years archival experience required, preferably in a museum setting.
- A. or M.L.I.S. in Archives, Museum Studies, Library Science or related field with formal training in archives management and preservation or commensurate experience.
- Experience and training in records management.
- Experience with professional archives management software.
Abilities, Skills and Knowledge/Preferred Qualifications:
- Demonstrated knowledge of archival collections, archives preservation requirements, storage needs and registration procedures for archives.
- Knowledge of current professional standards and trends.
- Familiar with governmental regulations and legal requirements related to archives and experience in compliance.
- Effective communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Ability to lift, bend and reach boxes or volumes weighing up to 40 lbs. repeatedly, including while on step stools.
Contract Compensation: $28,000
MCHS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, affectional orientation or gender identity, status with regard to public assistance, disability, or age.
Proposals due July 5, 2019, 5 p.m. CST. Proposals may be submitted either via mail or email to:
Mary Warner, Executive Director
Morrison County Historical Society
PO Box 239
Little Falls, MN 56345-0239