After a considerable amount of work, our Curator of Collections, Ann Marie Johnson, has finished compiling a list of Royalton mayors. We’ve added this list to the General page on the History section of our website. Ann Marie has also included sources she used in creating the list.
If you’d like to see the list directly, rather than jump over to the General page, click Royalton Mayors.
Central Minnesota author and historian, Bill Morgan, will discuss his new book “Earth, Wood, Stone: Central Minnesota Lives and Landmarks” at The Charles A. Weyerhaueser Memorial Museum on Saturday, May 11, 2013, at 10:30 a.m. The book is Volume II of a series and covers various aspects of the history of central Minnesota. Among the Morrison County stories featured in the book are Amos and Charles Berry of the First Minnesota Regiment, Vernon Pick, the William W. Warren and MacDougall site and the orphan train. A retired St. Cloud State University professor and long time advocate for the value of our cultural heritage, Bill will share his enthusiasm for local history through his gifted storytelling and talented writing. Books cost $19.95 and will be available for purchase at the museum.
The event is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served. For more information, contact the Morrison County Historical Society (320/632-4007).
Posted in agriculture, archaeology, architecture, area attraction, books, bowlus, charles a. weyerhaeuser memorial museum, culture, events, historic preservation, history, little falls, mchs, minnesota, morrison county, morrison county historical society, museum, preservation, royalton, two rivers
Printing Plate for 1936 Condition Map of Minnesota Trunk Highways, Minnesota Department of Highways
The 1930s may have been a time of economic crisis but that did not stop all progress, including the improvement of roads. This 1936 printing plate for a Condition Map of Minnesota Trunk Highways, published by the State of Minnesota, Department of Highways, in St. Paul, Minnesota, shows that most major road surfaces throughout the state had been markedly improved during the previous decades. Instigated by popular demand and the pressure of the newly formed highway lobby, which was initially funded by bicycle manufacturers, the good roads movement led to the passing of federal and state legislation and the improvement of road networks, including those in Morrison County. According to the printing plate, Morrison County’s major roads in 1936 were either paved or bituminous. Both Highway 371 and the portion of Highway 10 from Royalton to Little Falls were paved. Highway 10 from Little Falls through Randall and Cushing was bituminous. State Highway 27, the main route running east-west across the center of the county, was also bituminous.
The printing plate was donated by the family of Mary (Johannes) Fietek (1921-1984). Mary was born in Culdrum Township on October 15, 1921, to Erich and Anna Johannes. She married Clement Fietek on October 15, 1940, and had five children – Clarence, Leon, Gregory, Anna and JoAnn. Mary worked as an inspector for Munsingwear Manufacturing of Little Falls for twenty years. One of Mary’s hobbies was apparently printmaking, which came as a surprise to her children who found the printing plate and a marking stamp set while cleaning out a closet in the family home.
For more information on the history of Minnesota roads, Minnesota Department of Transportation Library or call 651-366-3791 (toll free 800-657-3774).
Printing Plate for 1936 Condition Map of Minnesota Trunk Highways (Legend), Minnesota Department of Highways
Posted in archives, artifacts, business, charles a. weyerhaeuser memorial museum, Collections Carousel, cushing, family, genealogy, government, history, little falls, maps, mchs, minnesota, morrison county, morrison county historical society, museum, randall, royalton
Tagged Collections Carousel