On Wednesday, September 10, 1913, the Little Falls Daily Transcript announced that two deer purchased from the city of Mankato, Minnesota, for Pine Grove Park had arrived the previous night “…by express and are now the pioneer inhabitants of the deer enclosure at the park.” Money for the deer had been raised through popular subscription, largely through the efforts of Val. E. Kasparek, who later became one of the founders of the Morrison County Historical Society. The deer were housed in a 2½ acre fenced enclosure in the park. According to the Transcript, “(h)aving tame deer at the park will be a fine thing for local big game hunters as they will be able to become acquainted with the species and will consequently be less apt to slaughter some settler’s cattle.” The deer and the owls who were already residents at the park were the start of what later became Pine Grove Zoo.
Pine Grove Park was established in 1907 on the west side of Little Falls in order to preserve one of the last remaining stands of white pine in the state of Minnesota. The fifty-five acre park was set aside for the benefit of the public and is located approximately ten blocks west of the Mississippi River. For more information see Pine Grove Park, M.M. Williams – An Influential Man, Preserving The Trees At Pine Grove Park, Storm Photos.
Thomas H. Dewey feeding the deer in Pine Grove Park during the winter of 1917-18. Photo by Alfred Molde.
Posted in agriculture, area attraction, charles a. weyerhaeuser memorial museum, Collections Carousel, culture, genealogy, historic preservation, history, influential people, little falls, mchs, minnesota, mississippi river, morrison county, morrison county historical society, museum, nature, newspaper, photos, preservation
Tagged Collections Carousel
The Morrison County Genealogy Society will be hosting a Family History Conference on Saturday, April 13, 2013, at the Initiative Foundation in Little Falls, MN.
Poster for MCGS Family History Conference, April 2013
For a registration brochure, click this link: http://morrisoncountyhistory.org/mcgsconfbro2013.pdf
We have a number or local history books for sale at The Charles A. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Museum gift shop, including the following:
Images of America: Camp Ripley: 1930-1960, by Sandra Alcott Erickson, $19.99, soft cover, 128 pages.
A Century of Progress, Hennepin Paper Company, 1890-1990, by Bruce Mellor. Two covers. Cream color (left) includes text and historic photos; colored cover (right) includes text, historic photos, and a section of photos of Hennepin Paper Mill employees. $5.00, either version.
BrainerdBound: Landmarks to the Lakes, by Mark Rustad, Curtis Johnson & Mark Utter, $27.95, hard cover, full color, 226 pages.
Stop in to pick up a copy or send us an email (email@example.com) to place an order to be sent by mail. We’ll figure out the postage and can take payments via PayPal.
Posted in books, camp ripley, charles a. weyerhaeuser memorial museum, gift shop, history, morrison county, morrison county historical society, photos
Tagged a century of progress, books for sale, brainerdbound, bruce mellor, camp ripley by sandra erickson, curtis johnson, hennepin paper, local history books, mark rustad, mark utter