On Wednesday, September 10, 1913, the Little Falls Daily Transcript announced that two deer purchased from the city of Mankato, Minnesota, for Pine Grove Park had arrived the previous night “…by express and are now the pioneer inhabitants of the deer enclosure at the park.” Money for the deer had been raised through popular subscription, largely through the efforts of Val. E. Kasparek, who later became one of the founders of the Morrison County Historical Society. The deer were housed in a 2½ acre fenced enclosure in the park. According to the Transcript, “(h)aving tame deer at the park will be a fine thing for local big game hunters as they will be able to become acquainted with the species and will consequently be less apt to slaughter some settler’s cattle.” The deer and the owls who were already residents at the park were the start of what later became Pine Grove Zoo.
Pine Grove Park was established in 1907 on the west side of Little Falls in order to preserve one of the last remaining stands of white pine in the state of Minnesota. The fifty-five acre park was set aside for the benefit of the public and is located approximately ten blocks west of the Mississippi River. For more information see Pine Grove Park, M.M. Williams – An Influential Man, Preserving The Trees At Pine Grove Park, Storm Photos.
Thomas H. Dewey feeding the deer in Pine Grove Park during the winter of 1917-18. Photo by Alfred Molde.
Posted in agriculture, area attraction, charles a. weyerhaeuser memorial museum, Collections Carousel, culture, genealogy, historic preservation, history, influential people, little falls, mchs, minnesota, mississippi river, morrison county, morrison county historical society, museum, nature, newspaper, photos, preservation
Tagged Collections Carousel
The Morrison County Historical Society will be hosting its Annual Dinner on Sunday, September 23, 2012, at 5:30 p.m. at The Brickyard Bar & Banquet Hall in Pierz, MN. The location of the dinner is no accident as the program is “All About Pierz.”
Tim Hoheisel, a native of Buckman, Executive Director of the Sioux Falls Arts Council, and doctoral candidate in American History at Kansas State University, will be our guest speaker. He will examine the impact of Father Pierz on the settlement of central Minnesota, the immigration of German Catholics to the area, and the state, national and international significance of the central Minnesota German Catholic culture region.
MCHS will also be showcasing its “Save the Pierz Journals” project during the event. Those in attendance will hear about the history of the project and will see the beginning results of having MCHS’s collection of Pierz Journal newspapers digitized. The event will also give people an opportunity to donate toward the project. So far, close to $2,000 has been raised, with the goal being $30,000 toward digitizing years 1909 through 1924.
The cost of the MCHS Annual Dinner is $20 per person. Reservations are required by September 18, 2012, and can be made by calling 320-632-4007.
Here is a link to the event flier, which includes the menu for the evening.
Posted in events, history, mchs, minnesota, morrison county, morrison county historical society, news, newspaper, pierz
Tagged father pierz, german catholics in central minnesota, save the pierz journals, tim hoheisel