We created a slideshow of county creameries for the Morrison County Historical Society’s annual dinner, which was held last Sunday. This slideshow, called “Buttered Up: Creameries of Morrison County,” is now available on our website here: http://morrisoncountyhistory.org/butteredup.pdf. It’s a fairly large file, so it may take a few minutes to load.
Category Archives: history
This gorgeous black picture hat was made by the Sand Sisters of Little Falls, Minnesota. The Sand Sisters consisted of Mary, Eugenia and Josephine Sand, daughters of Peter and Margaret (Weber) Sand. Mary, the oldest, attended millinery school in North Dakota before the family moved to Little Falls in 1903. That same year, Mary purchased a millinery shop in Little Falls at 108 First Street Northeast. Mary was only 28 years old when she died from pneumonia on May 9, 1907. Her sisters, Eugenia and Josephine, had joined her in the millinery trade and they continued with the business. In 1915, they purchased the restaurant across the street from Rosa Mueller and opened Sand’s Cafe. The sisters operated both businesses for about three years, closing the millinery in 1918 as business at the restaurant grew. After Eugenia died on August 5, 1936, Josephine became the sole owner and proprietor of the restaurant. Picture hats are large, broad-brimmed women’s hats that are often elaborately trimmed. They were popular from the 1890s through the early 1910s.
Educator and avid outdoorsman, George Washington Sprandel, was born in Little Falls, Minnesota, on February 22, 1905, to Charles August (C. A.) and Mathilda (Becker) Sprandel. George was one of ten surviving children of C. A. and his two wives. C.A.’s first wife, Caroline Sophia (Kastner) Sprandel had four children. Caroline died of typhoid fever in 1896. George’s mother, Mathilda, had eight children, two of whom died in infancy. On June 23, 1940, George married Lucille M. Steuart in Iowa. George and Lucille had three children – Dorian, Dennis and Cheryl. George spent much of his professional career working in the field of education. He started as a teacher, coach and later principal at Verndale High School in Verndale, Minnesota, a town near the southern border of Wadena County. In 1938, George became Superintendent of Schools for Morrison County, a position he held until 1954. George also worked as a controller for Larson Boats of Little Falls until he retired in 1965.
George was a member of the Pinnacle Club, a local sporting association, and the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association. George wore these well-used and cared for snowshoes to hunt, trap and fish throughout the Morrison County countryside during Minnesota’s deep snowy winters. According to his nephew, Fred Larson, the twisted cotton canvas boot straps probably replaced straps that were originally made of leather. Manufactured by the Sebago Company, the snowshoes are over four feet long and one foot wide.